Friday, December 29, 2006

MercuryNews.com | 12/29/2006 | Charitable giving belongs at the top of everyone's budget

MercuryNews.com | 12/29/2006 | Charitable giving belongs at the top of everyone's budget: "Charitable giving belongs at the top of everyone's budget
By Carl Guardino

In my late 20s, I found myself thousands of dollars in debt; first unemployed, and then underemployed as a laborer. It was good and honest work, but stretched both my wallet and my core beliefs.

I needed to answer a key question: ``With so little for myself, do I still carve out some small amount to help others?''

Each week, balancing a stack of bills and past-due notices against my small paycheck, I made the decision to carve out the first dime of every dollar for charity. As weeks slipped into months, and I slowly chipped through a mountain of debt, I was amazed at how far 90 percent of my income could stretch when I helped others with the first 10 percent.

This past week, the NewTithing Group released a study of six California regions, including Silicon Valley. Rather than measure the giving habits of the poor, as I was in my late 20s, they instead looked at those with wealth -- earning individual or household incomes exceeding $200,000."

No comments: