Friday, January 09, 2009

Google and Newspapers - Finance Blog - Felix Salmon - Market Movers - Portfolio.com

Google and Newspapers - Finance Blog - Felix Salmon - Market Movers - Portfolio.com: "I did do a double-take, however, when I saw this exchange with Fortune's Adam Lashinsky:

AL: What about Google.org, Google's for-profit philanthropic arm, which is investing in alternative-energy startups?
ES: We didn't want to co-mingle philanthropy with business. We are in the advertising business.

Wasn't Google.org set up with the express intention of co-mingling philanthropy with business? I think I understand what Schmidt is saying here, which is that he doesn't want to co-mingle Google's philanthropic activities with the advertising business in particular, because that's the bailiwick of Google.com. I"

No comments: