Tuesday, December 27, 2005

News-Record.com - Greensboro, North Carolina: Opinion: Rosemary Roberts: Wine-and-cheese fan dismayed at Dome

News-Record.com - Greensboro, North Carolina: Opinion: Rosemary Roberts: Wine-and-cheese fan dismayed at Dome: "Rosemary Roberts: Wine-and-cheese fan dismayed at Dome
Print this Article Print this article Email this Article Email this Article

It is two days before Christmas, and I should dutifully write a cheery column with a Yuletide theme. Instead, I will veer from tradition and spout off about a North Carolina passion: basketball.

I am a devoted Tar Heel fan, but until last week I had not been in the Dean Smith Center, otherwise known as the Dean Dome, in a couple of years. Why? Because I didn't have tickets.

Last Saturday night I got lucky. I had a terrific seat at the Dean Dome to watch my alma mater beat Santa Clara. But there was something different about the arena, and it troubled me.

The Dean Dome opened in 1986 and had remained unsullied by corporate sponsorship. No signs hawking products cluttered the courtside nor hung overhead."

No comments: