Saturday, December 24, 2011
Christmas Seals and Mass Philanthropy - NYTimes.com
Christmas Seals and Mass Philanthropy - NYTimes.com: Just as important, they produced a revolution in philanthropy. At that time, the 1 percent of the late Gilded Age, men with names like Carnegie and Rockefeller, were creating major new philanthropic institutions. Christmas Seals, in a way, was the response from the other 99 percent: by marketing something as inexpensive as a stamp and using the proceeds to attack a major disease, the founders of the Christmas Seals program demonstrated the collective power of the American public.