Thursday, April 06, 2006

Charlotte Observer | 04/02/2006 | Nonprofit challenges can mimic corporate

Charlotte Observer | 04/02/2006 | Nonprofit challenges can mimic corporate: "Nonprofit challenges can mimic corporate

The issue: Time to try the nonprofit world? The scenario: I've been working nearly 20 years in the corporate world. I've had a sudden realization that what management wants to accomplish has no meaning or purpose in how I want to live my life. I've volunteered in several nonprofits and enjoy working toward social and community outcomes. I'd like to make the leap to a nonprofit leadership position. What should I expect would be the biggest differences and challenges? Coach: Gina Columna.

You don't have to go far for a real-life corporate leader who made the nonprofit transition. Carol Hughes, executive director of Charlotte's Crisis Assistance Ministry, did this in 2000 after 18 years at a big company. Hughes says, 'I would define my move as following my value system and interests more than wanting to leave the corporate world.'"

No comments: