Monday, May 23, 2005

And to My Dog, I Leave a $10,000 Trust Fund - New York Times

And to My Dog, I Leave a $10,000 Trust Fund - New York Times: "And to My Dog, I Leave a $10,000 Trust Fund

By MARYANN MOTT
Published: May 22, 2005
IF you're like many pet owners, you want the best for your dog or cat. You give it premium food, good veterinary care and bring it with you on vacation.
Quick ReadBut what happens to your pet if you die or become incapacitated?
Unless specific provisions have been made, your pet could wind up in a shelter and be put to death. If you plan ahead, though, your pet can be well cared for. In addition to arrangements with friends and family, there is, increasingly, a formal option.
Laws in 27 states - including Arizona, Colorado, Florida, New Jersey and New York - now allow owners to establish trusts for pets. These arrangements set aside money for the care of one or more animals in the event of an owner's disability or death"

No comments: