Wednesday, October 27, 2004

On the Dot: Moving to a new Web site? Leave a forwarding address - Internet

On the Dot: Moving to a new Web site? Leave a forwarding address - Internet: "Moving to a new Web site?
Leave a forwarding address
By Matt Lake
When the truck full of armed soldiers pulled over and encouraged me to hightail it off a country road, I got the impression that I was in the wrong place. I'd been looking for a weekend hiking and biking trail, and I had found one location that intrigued me: an eight-and-a-half-mile stretch of abandoned highway that used to be part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Three years ago, a conservancy bought the entire stretch, including two long tunnels, for a dollar. And now, it's open to the public.
My Web research had produced accurate results about the location, but it missed one crucial detail about my potential hiking site: on some weekends, the U.S. Army's 99th Regional Readiness Command practices maneuvers there. On those occasions, the public is discouraged from getting in the way by a truck full of soldiers--polite, but nonetheless armed, soldiers.
My Web research missed one crucial detail about my potential hiking site: on some weekends, the U.S. Army practices maneuvers there.

The sad thing about this encounter is that the nonprofit that manages this trail regularly posts information about closures on its Web site. The information was there for me to find before I set out, but I failed to find it. Why? Because until recently, the Southern Alleghenies Conservancy used its ISP's Web storage as its sole Web site--and any generic URL ending in /~sacc/index.html isn't going to register high on a search engine. If it did appear in any of my search results (and it might have), it didn't land very high on my list,"

No comments: